Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Coming to Terms with Exercise

I hate exercise.  Maybe I just haven't found the right one, but I am pretty sure I hate it all.  I am now realizing the farther down the road I get from my revision date the more I want to eat.  This is normal, I am told.  However, that means additional calories.  I used to be able to get by on 1000 calories pretty easily.  Now I am lucky to get by on 1200.  On the weekends it is probably more like 1400.  This means, to continue to lose weight I need to make up the difference. 

My doctor has always told me that fitness is a vital part of success post op.  He said that it is especially important the further out your are.  He said he has never seen someone be successful long term without being active regularly.  I hear this, and I ignore it.

I know I need to start moving.  I have committed to working out 4 days a week every week.  I have done it 2 days this week.  I hate it.  I want to cry.  I want to punch people.  It is not fun.  This is my starting point and I committing. 

When I was in my really successful losing faze with my Lap Band I was exercising almost everyday.  I did it for months.  I never skipped.  I hated it then but it was just part of my life.  I guess I need to get to that point again.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I feel you on this one. My neighbor and I walk in the mornings, and if I didn't know she was waiting for me, I would not get up to do it. Maybe you could find a partner too. Once we start talking, I forget that I'm sweating, ha ha!

TracyZ said...

I am right there with you. I hate all forms of exercise. I go through spurts of liking to run or something, but overall, I don't dig working out.

I have really, really grown dependent on my FitBit. Here's what I know. It doesn't matter if you run 5 miles or walk 5 miles, you burn the same amount of calories. One just takes longer than the other and is a giant pain in the ass.

Once I had my FitBit, I just started pushing myself to get 1000 more steps each day or whatever until I hit the goal of 10K steps in a day. I don't always reach that goal, but I finish most weeks with about 50000 steps.

Anyway, it is my non-exercisey way to get in exercise that truly does count. When I realize I am low on steps for the day, I'll head to WalMart and walk around and look at crap I don't need or the mall and do the same.

Sheila said...

You can do it. I don't always love going to the gym, but I never NEVER regret how GOOD I feel when I'm done. You can do it!!!

lori said...

i hate exercise too but i swim at the gym. and i love it. they also have aqua zumba and i cant believe it but i like it!! its true that you feel so happy that you did it after youre finished. keep searching for something you like and a partner to go with.