Saturday, November 7, 2009

I survived my revision!




Yesterday I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am to have my port revision surgery. That meant I had to get up around 4 am so that we could be there in time (it is about an hour drive). It was rough getting up and I wasn't really looking forward to having this procedure, though I knew it was unavoidable if I ever wanted a fill.

I went through all the drama of pre-op, IV, questions, anti-nausea drugs, and so on. Dr. Katz came to talk to me before the procedure and made me feel comfortable, as he always does ( I love him). Right about 7:30 they rolled me in. The procedure was only about 15 minutes long in total and was a very different experience from my original banding. I was only given local and a light sedative. I got on the operating table myself and remember hearing Dr. Katz and the nurses talking the entire time. I remember having my eyes open but it was weird and foggy. Towards the end everything became much more clear and I felt a great deal of pain as they were finishing up the stitches.

I have been pretty sore but nothing I can't live with. I have been taking my pain meds when it gets too sore. The incision is larger than my original port incision and more sore. The biggest disappointment is the effect this has had on my work-outs. I was getting a good rhythm of working out hard every morning. I can't do a whole lot now and need to take it easy for 3 weeks.

All in all, I am glad this is over and I hope it is the only bump in my journey!

No comments: