Monday, January 11, 2010

A Blog to Think On

I just got done reading Gwen's blog. She had a great post with a link to an article by Roger Ebert about not being able to eat due to his illness. He talks about what he misses and how it isn't really the food but the experience. Gwen follows this post up with her own commentary about her loss of the eating experience.

This topic hit home. It was almost like I finally understood for the first time why I feel sad, why I miss "food". I realize now it is more about the feeling of eating with others, eating in places, the smells and sounds, and no just the food. Yeah, I can still do these things, but not in the way I have been doing them for years. I also have new feelings about eating. I worry about PBs, getting stuck, what people think when I am eating and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I am so glad I had the surgery. However, I still miss the old way of eating.

3 comments:

Amy W. said...

You know, I don't really miss it sooo bad. At least as not as bad as I thought. I miss being able to eat certain things like a full on sandwich or burger, but I find I can still experience food the way I could before...just so much less of it. What experience do you miss? You can respond on here bc I always have follow up comments sent to me (bc this is an interesting topic and others might want to hear).

:)

SuperMegaAnna said...

I guess I miss not having to think about what I am going to eat. Before I could have anything I want, whatever looked good on the menu. Now, I worry about how things go down and protein factor and all the other details. I also don't have much restriction so I can't really just get whatever and eat less of it. I am still eating the most for the least calories.

I think I miss the old me sometimes too, even though I know I can't be that person anymore.

I think I will sleep on this and maybe add more tomorrow. That is a very good question.

Gen said...

Thanks for linking to this article, I read it yesterday on Gwen's blog and found it really moving.

I sort of related to the missing food thing. I miss having a really nice dinner out with several courses and savoring each dish! Of course this can be done with the band - just much less food, smaller bites. I don't know, its different.

Overall, though, I am happy to be free of the whole food obsession. I will take this freedom over regular eating any day!